Here’s some details on our upcoming Mizen to Malin trip happening this August 4th to 7th. Don’t forget deposit has to be in by February 29th!! More on this later.
We’ll be staying in hotels in Killarney / Oranmore / Sligo / Letterkenny. All hotels have leisure facilities to sooth weary legs after a hard day on the bikes. Your dinner and breakfast will be provided in each hotel.
Thanks to John Caulfield for putting this together for us.
A training programme for those doing Mizen to Malin.(M2M) Aug.4th/7th 2016.
- The main objective is to train on a regular basis e.g. not less than three spins and not more than five spins each week. Remember rest is as important as training. You need to start the M2M fresh.
- Regular training is the key to getting fit.
- As M2M is a tour, speed is not as important as stamina.
- This is not the time of year to overdo training, you have all Summer.
- At present the group training on a Sunday morning should be up to 70km.
- By the end of March this should be extended to 90km each Sunday.
- The first objective should be The Kildangan Cycling Challenge of 120km on Sunday 10th April 2016. You should be able to do this cycle comfortably.
- Depending on the weather you can start increasing the distances from now on and you should look to riding at least one sportive each month. Look in the calendar, plenty of Sportives available in the Munster area. If you can’t do a sportive at least a lap of the Lake is good.
- Our own club tour on May 15th is a must, 120km.
- One great way of increasing the stamina is to do back to back tours of the lake or back to back 120km spins.
- Another sportive to consider is the Wicklow 200 in June. (Already a few signed up and it’s filling quickly so don’t hang about!)
- The final sportive I would consider is the Ring of Kerry or similar in early July.
- After first week in July you need to start tapering and building up for the M2M. Short spins and plenty of rest.
- There is no easy way to prepare for M2M and even though the route of M2M is approx. 160km each day being with a group will carry you along.
- That’s why its important to train in a group at least once a week. Get used to getting shelter and sitting on a wheel.
- Hydration and food is most important and if you are going to bring gels etc make sure you try them out during the Summer and settle on what suits you. Some energy drinks don’t suit everyone.
- Have you gear ready well in advance, at least a change for every day. Its not always possible to get clothes washed and dried. bear in mind there could be as many as 40 riders.
- Last but not least have your bike ready and new tyres are a must. Remember the weekend before the M2M is a bank holiday so don’t leave repairs till the last minute.
The main thing for now is that anyone contemplating this needs to get their training underway… The months won’t be long slipping away, so no procrastination!! 🙂
€400 per person which includes travel to the start and from the finish and also 4 nights Dinner,Bed & Breakfast.
It’s €100 to secure your spot. We currently have a waiting list of people who want to do this spin so make sure you get your deposit to Jan(087 1374354) no later than February 29th or spaces will be given to those on the waiting list!!
We’ll set this up as a page on the website (under the Calendar heading) so it will be easy to reference during the year and keep it updated with any changes/news on the event.